Future Students

Planning your Finances

Financial Assistance

LaSalle College Vancouver is accredited by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education of British Columbia, and government funding is available to full-time students who qualify.

Please contact us directly for more details.

Opening a bank account in Canada

To open a bank account, choose a bank close to where you live or close to LaSalle College Vancouver will be the most convenient. To open the bank account, it is suggested to make an appointment to avoid a long wait.  Most of the banks downtown have staff who can speak English, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean and Mondrian. You can request a staff who can speak your language while making the appointment.

To open a bank account, you will need to bring the following documents:

  • Your Passport and study permit 
  • Your local address in Vancouver
  • Your LaSalle College Vancouver Student ID Card. 

Currency Exchange

If you transfer funds into a Canadian bank account, your money will automatically be exchanged into the Canadian dollar.  The rates you are charged when you make bank fund transfers are the best on the market, generally. The rates do however vary from bank to bank. Note that any currency that is not displayed on the market will not be bought by any Canadian bank. 

Here is a universal converter for your convenience.

Fund transfers

The safest way to transfer funds is via bank transfers. To do this, you must open a bank account as soon as you arrive in Montreal in a Canadian bank. Your country may impose some bank transfer restriction. Please inquire with your financial institution. 

Due to possible delays in processing the transaction, be sure to have at hand a sufficient amount of money (cash or traveler's cheques) to cover two months worth of expenses. If however, this amount exceeds $10 000, you must declare the amount at Canadian customs. 

Pay your tuition fees via a bank transfer 

You can pay your tuition fees via a bank transfer. All information related to the payment of your tuition fees are sent to you with your registration.
IMPORTANT : A bank transfer can take up to 4 weeks to process.

Cancellation policy

LaSalle College will charge penalty fees for any departure prior to the date of the last semester stipulated in the admissions contract. In the event where Canadian authorities refuse to render a student permit (visa), these penalty fees will be lifted.

Should you decide to leave the College permanently, you must advise the College in the form of a letter, signed and dated, stipulating the reason for your departure or contract cancellation. The date of reception of this letter will determine the official departure date. To not show up in class does not represent a formal notification of departure.

Work and study
Students with a valid Study permit in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies. However, you must meet certain criteria set by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). For more information, please refer to CIC’s website: Study and work off campus 

IMPORTANT: Please also keep in mind, your main goal here is to study, so your focus should be on your school, not your work. If you are considering working part-time during your study, you must make sure to maintain a good academic standing. There are also regulations set by CIC on how many hours you can work per week. Please make sure you are aware all the regulations and follow them.